iThuba Innovation Hub and Connecting Communities




My Capstone project, iThuba Innovation Hub & Connecting Communities marked the conclusion of my Global Scholar experience at Polytechnic High School. The collaborative presentation, led by WSL co-chair Megan Kellner and myself, showcased the efforts of Siviwe Mbinda, the founder of iThuba, and his two phenomenal students. Our audience consisted of approximately seventy Poly learners interested in learning more about the iThuba Stem school in South Africa. 
Utilizing Zoom as our platform, Megan and I began the presentation with an overview of iThuba and the grant-writing process.  After providing information and answering questions regarding the topic at hand, our conversation naturally shifted to the present-day situation in South Africa in light of Covid-19. The visible difficulty Siviwe and his students had connecting to WiFi during our meeting reflected the new challenges presented to Ithuba’s Community. Siviwe explained that the grant Megan and I provided Ithuba with had become even more vital for virtual education. While transportation and nutrition no longer added to the budget since students are not physically going to classes,  cellular data costs are twice as much. 
My hope is that our presentation sparked a newfound connection to iThuba in the audience. As Megan and I leave Polytechnic, our relationship and love for Siviwe and the iThuba Innovation Hub foundation is eternal. Megan and I plan to visit South Africa and the students when travel is safe. I know that I am not alone when I say that iThuba educates far beyond the Langa Community. This process has brought out a passion I did not know existed within me, and I know the journey is just beginning!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese American Museum, Downtown L.A.

USC US-China Institute Webcast, 4/9/20