Empathy



Having returned from a week at the Naval Academy’s Summer Seminar, I find myself reflecting upon the experience particularly in relation to my year in China. Perhaps the two words that might best be used to describe how I feel now are: “Culture Shock.” I learned so much from both experiences; yet, the truth is that they couldn’t have been more different. I now find myself attempting to make meaning for myself in terms of putting the pieces together, so-to-speak.
At the Naval Academy, I essentially learned what it would be like to go to school on an active military base. In addition to physical training and waking up every day at 5 am to the screaming voices of midshipmen, I was educated about what it means to be a soldier of the United States Navy. The self-discipline, mental and physical strength, and commitment of the officers to the United States was inspiring. 
On the other hand, I was taken aback by a few Naval students’ responses or questions to me when I told them I lived in China. Most often, I was asked if I felt safe or if I was scared of the government. I was also asked how I felt about living in the country of our biggest competitor. The truth is that the Chinese culture is so much more than “censorship” and competition. I would like to believe mindset can be adjusted, the way mine was.
While In China, I was encouraged to look at the east with fresh eyes and an open mind. Often our history teacher, Mr. M, would dedicate classes to challenging student’s viewpoints on a variety of US-China Issues. Questions such as, “Who started the Opium Wars?”, “Is filial piety beneficial to the Chinese people?” and “Are there positives as well as negatives to Communism?’ were often posed and discussed from the perspectives of both east and west. 
I am a proud American deeply committed to the values of freedom and liberty that we tend to take for granted in the United States. At the same time, I will always hold a special place in my heart for China. For now, I will conclude with the realization I have come to that the most important quality for a global thinker is to possess is empathy. Without empathy, I don’t think any country can truly succeed or build durable relationships. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese American Museum, Downtown L.A.

iThuba Innovation Hub and Connecting Communities

USC US-China Institute Webcast, 4/9/20