Junior Year Abroad Reflection

   
In preparation for my study-abroad program in Beijing, China, I listened to School Year Abroad (SYA) representatives speak about how fundamental the experience would be in terms of my development as a person. Looking back on it, I realize now that I didn't fully understand the importance of these words. In fact, the idea that I would change drastically within 9 short months seemed rather cliché. Besides, I had participated in study-abroad programs before. Why should this time be any different? This exact question has been on my mind ever since my return to America.


Reflecting upon the "why" has helped me come to the conclusion that while my European exchanges have made me who I am, it is the China experience that made me who I wanted to be. When I embarked upon my French-exchange program at age nine, I was just a little girl who thought French food looked good and the idea of having a French sister would be cool. Little did I know that the family who took me in as their own would help me realize how much I love learning languages, sailing, reading French books about ponies, and being around people. Needless to say, those life experiences made me the Jacqueline that everyone knows. It was the beginning of my love for languages and different ways of living. However, each time I came back to America, life would return pretty quickly to the “norm”. Busy with school, sports, and friends, I never really took the time to truly reflect upon how my experiences had changed me as a person.


As I mentioned, my European exchanges made me who I am: a life-long learner with a passion for language and culture. In contrast, China made me who I aspire to be: a more confident, independent person with the ambition to put my language skills to use. The SYA Program was truly phenomenal in its ability to guide me in coming into my own. As one might imagine, living and traveling in a non-western country like China is dramatically different from  living in Europe, which shares a plethora of western thoughts with United States. Through Chinese history and language courses, coupled with numerous opportunities for independent travel experiences throughout the countryside and cities of China, SYA helped me understand and open my mind to a culture and political system that had previously been foreign to me.


In China, unlike my exchanges in Europe as a child, I shared so many experiences with my classmates from all over the United States, as well as and with my host family and their friends and relatives. Through discussion, debate, study, and travel, we learned from each other and from the people and world around us. It was an educational experience like no other, and one I will strive to emulate as I grow in curiosity about international relations, politics, and the study of languages. In a way, I think my reflection has a blurry ending because I know that my journey is ongoing. Ultimately, my goal this year is to continue reflecting upon, refining, and applying upon the knowledge and skills I attained in China.

   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chinese American Museum, Downtown L.A.

iThuba Innovation Hub and Connecting Communities

USC US-China Institute Webcast, 4/9/20